How Solar Hot Water Systems Work
Evacuated tubes solar hot water systems
Evacuated tubes solar hot water systems comprise evacuated tube solar collectors mounted on the roof and a storage tank on the ground. These solar hot water units can be gas or electric boosted.
The Solar Heating Process
- Cold water is pumped from the storage tank to the solar collectors on the roof.
- Solar collectors collect heat by absorbing sunlight and in turn heat the circulating water.
- Solar heated water returns to the storage tank.
- When boosting is required, the gas or electric booster will further heat the water to the required temperature.
Ground mounted solar hot water systems
Ground mounted solar water heaters, also known as “split systems”, consist of a separated configuration of a ground mounted storage tank and roof mounted solar collectors. These systems may be electric boosted or gas boosted.
How the Process Works
- The roof top thermal collectors absorb the free heat energy from the sun.
- Cold water is circulated through the roof top solar collectors and heated.
- The heated water returns to the ground mounted tank, and is stored for later use.
- At times when additional heating is required, a gas or electric booster kicks in, providing hot water whenever you need it.
Roof mounted solar hot water systems
Roof mounted solar water heaters, also known as thermosiphon systems, are a traditional close-coupled combination of roof mounted solar collectors and a storage tank. These systems may be electric boosted or gas boosted.
How the Process Works
- Cold water circulates through the roof mounted solar panels, and is heated by the sun.
- The heated water returns to the tank, and is stored for later use.
- If necessary, the gas or electric booster can further heat the water, ensuring hot water is available at the required temperature.
The benefits of solar hot water
- A solar hot water system can provide up to 90% of your water heating needs.
- Solar collectors capture the sun’s clean, free energy to pre-heat your water.
- Solar hot water will reduce your energy consumption & carbon footprint.
- A solar hot water unit will reduce your power bills & minimise the impact of rising energy costs.
- With electric or gas boost, a reliable supply of hot water is available in any weather or time of day.
- Installation of a solar hot water is eligible for Government Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) (Eligibility criteria apply).